- Hunt Type
- General Rifle
- Hunt Information
- • Please fill in all required information. A $10.00 application fee required per applicant. The application fee is non-refundable even if the hunt is cancelled or you are unable to participate. Only one (1) application per person will be accepted for the muzzleloader and general rifle hunts. If duplicates are found, the first received will be processed and all others will be returned to the applicant. Application fees under these circumstances will not be returned.
• A total of 75 non-Lanai resident permits will be issued per weekend for the general rifle hunt. All Lanai residents who apply will be able to participate.
• For the general rifle hunt, a lottery drawing will be conducted to establish going weekends. The general rifle lottery will begin at 12 noon at the DLNR/DOFAW base yard in Kahului. A drawing will occur for Lanai residents at 10am at the same facility. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, public participation will be limited to invited guests or not allowed. Only successfully drawn general rifle hunters, indicating date of week drawn, will be mailed an application card. There will be no standby hunting opportunities for the general rifle hunt.
• A Lanai resident is defined as an individual who has a permanent mailing address and has lived on the island for six (6) continuous months.
• The 2021 Lanai Axis Deer and Mouflon Sheep season will be a Mouflon Sheep ewe and Axis Deer either sex and doe hunt. There will be no limit on the amount of doe tags and a limit of one (1) ewe tag that can be purchased. Hunters will be required to purchase two (2) doe tags before being able to purchase an either sex Axis Deer tag. No ram, including non-typical ram tags will be available for purchase. See addendum for tag fees and other requirements.
• General rifle and muzzleloader applicants may not apply for the archery only hunt.
• Successful applicants must report to the Lanai hunter check station the Tuesday preceding their assigned weekend or on Wednesday through Friday to validate permits and receive assigned tags. To be validated, the permittee must show identification and sign the permit in the presence of an authorized officer of the Department of Land & Natural Resources and the officer must sign and date the permit.
• For the general rifle hunt, check station hours will be from 12noon to 7:00pm on Tuesdays and 7:00am to 3:30pm on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays throughout the entire general rifle hunting season.
• Upon completion of the hunt, hunters must submit their permit to the Lanai hunter check station. If applicable, include sex and unit where animal(s) were harvested.
• Hunting Units 1, 2 and 3 will be open for the Archery Hunt. For the Youth, Muzzleloader and General Rifle seasons, hunting Unit 2 will be available for hunting on Wednesdays, Unit 1 will be available for hunting on Thursdays and Units 1 and 2 will be available for hunting from Fridays through Sundays.
• Hunter assistant permits will be issued at this time - one (1) hunter assistant may accompany a senior citizen or disabled hunter and must possess a valid 2020-21 or 2021-22 State of Hawaii hunting license. A disabled hunter is defined as an individual who has an impairment that limits one or more of that person's major life activities. Current (within 90 days) physician's certificate required.
• All applicants must possess a valid 2020-21 or 2021-22 State of Hawaii hunting license before their hunting date; those under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult possessing a valid 2020-21 or 2021-22 State of Hawaii hunting license while hunting.
• Application period begins Monday, February 22, 2021 and ends at 4:00pm, Friday, March 19, 2021.
• Lottery results will be available on the internet at: www.dlnr.hawaii.gov/dofaw and on this General Info. tab by 4pm, Friday, April 23, 2021.
- Hunt Information Attachments
- 18 weekends, Also includes Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
|06/23/2021 - 06/27/2021|
|06/30/2021 - 07/04/2021|
|07/07/2021 - 07/11/2021|
|07/14/2021 - 07/18/2021|
|07/21/2021 - 07/25/2021|
|07/28/2021 - 08/01/2021|
|08/04/2021 - 08/08/2021|
|08/11/2021 - 08/15/2021|
|08/18/2021 - 08/22/2021|
|08/25/2021 - 08/29/2021|
|09/01/2021 - 09/05/2021|
|09/08/2021 - 09/12/2021|
|09/15/2021 - 09/19/2021|
|09/22/2021 - 09/26/2021|
|09/29/2021 - 10/03/2021|
|10/06/2021 - 10/10/2021|
|10/13/2021 - 10/17/2021|
|10/20/2021 - 10/24/2021|
- Applications required?
- Application Start Date & Time
- 02/22/2021 12:01 AM
- Application End Date & Time
- 03/19/2021 4:00 PM
- General Public Lottery Date & Time
- 04/23/2021 12:00 PM
- Lanai Resident Lottery Date & Time
- 04/23/2021 10:00 AM
- Max Amount of Hunters Allowed per Group
- Lanai Cooperative Game Management Area (LCGMA)
The LCGMA is the area on the northwest portion of Lanai with the southernmost boundary extending from the western shore off of Kaumalapau Hwy and traveling east along said road to #57 road. From #57 road heading in a north-northeasterly direction along the former pineapple field to the junction of Polihua road and Ka'a Road. At the junction heading in a southeasterly direction to the Horse Pasture connecting to the Keomoku Road and following the said road to the northeastern shore of Lanai. The Kanepu'u Easement Area is excluded from the LCGMA.
- Location Attachments
- Other Information
- • Each hunter shall be limited to carry one rifle, shotgun or bow of legal draw weight in the hunting areas during the general rifle hunt. Crossbows (unless with a valid permit) and handguns are not permitted.
• Hunting permits are non-transferrable and may not be traded between hunters.
• Hunters must abide by the provisions of Chapter 123 when hunting on Lanai during the hunting season.
• Applicants may apply in parties up to a maximum of five (5) persons. Lanai residents may apply with non-residents by submitting their applications together to the (off islander) public drawing on Maui. No non-Lanai resident may submit his or her application with that of a Lanai resident for the Lanai resident drawing.
• Guides will not be required. If you need someone to guide you, be sure you submit an application for that individual who must apply as a hunter. Commercial guides are prohibited for this hunt.
• Only senior citizens and disabled hunters permitted the use of hunter assistant.
• Hunters are allowed to bone the animal with the exception that a hind quarter must be tagged with genitalia and skin still attached.
• Any hunter encountering feral goats in the area may take these animals, regardless of sex and number. Hunters must have in their possession an unused tag.